I didn’t realize that it’s possible to grow mold in heavily chlorinated water, which is what I get from the tap. I added some water to two glasses and put them in my storage closet for my puerh. I left them there for a few weeks, figuring there’s no reason to bother them since they had not evaporated. I went back a few days ago to check on my tea, and I saw a thin film of white and black mold on the water. Yum.
The tea, however, is fine — no evidence of mold outbreak. Not sure what to make of it, really, but this is a first.